THC vs. CBD – A closer look
Tetrahydrocannabinol – (THC)
THC or Tetrahydrocannabinol is psychoactive as opposed to CBD which isn’t, however both seem to have amazing effects on the human body. In the brain THC binds with cannabinoid 1 (CB1) receptors. This is because THC closely resembles a neurotransmitter known as anandamide. Anandamide (which is a naturally occurring neurotransmitter in the brain), enhances the simple pleasures associated with basic activities such as eating, exercise and even sex!
Cannabidiol – (CBD)
CBD works to mute the same receptors which are activated by THC, hence resulting in a decrease of the common side effects associated with THC (such as anxiety or short term memory impairment).
CBD is actually showing a lot of promise for those suffering from debilitating diseases or illnesses such as; Chrons disease, PTSD, Dravets Syndrome just to name a few!
Effects and Application:
THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) will generally make the user drowsy as opposed to CBD or CBDv (cannabidivarin) which may boost energy; hence why some strains will make you sleepy or drowsy and others will result in wakefulness or alertness!
- Altered sense of sight, smell and hearing
- Fatigue or Drowsiness
- Reduced Aggression
Medical Applications of THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol):
- Reduce side effects of chemotherapy
- Alleviate symptoms associated with;
-AIDS or HIV
Effects of CBD or CBDv:
- Reduction of psychotic symptoms
- Relief from convulsions and nausea
- Decreased anxiety
- Decreased inflammation
Medical Applications of CBD or CBDv:
- Schizophrenia (Reduce psychotic symptoms)
- Social Anxiety Disorder (lowers anxiety)
- Reduces symptoms associated with depression
- Decreases symptoms associated with cancer treatment (relief from chemo side effects, such as; suppressed appetite, nausea)
Research in the field of marijuana and especially in the fields of THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol), CBD or CBDv are still in the early stages. We are only just beginning to understand the powerful benefits of them, and look forward to a future where they can be better understood and studied.