The US Government Holds Patent on Cannabis as a Neuroprotectant
The US government, through the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), holds a patent on Cannabis, specifically on Cannabidiol (CBD) as a neuroprotectant and an antioxidant.
Shit, I would love to have a patent for CBD’s. I would be eventually the richest man in the world.
This patent was filed about 13 yrs ago ago, and was approved by the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) in Y 2003. The patent is based on studies done with the support of the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
“It certainly is a paradox. Through the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), the US federal government holds the stance that Marijuana has no medical value and is highly dangerous; whereas we have in fact scientific evidence that it is useful as a medicine, and that far from being dangerous, it’s actually quite non-toxic and supportive—certainly in comparison to other medications.
The American people have to ask why this split
It seems like a policy, especially in certain areas of the federal government that would encompass the drug war and drug laws. That type of policy certainly is not consistent with our medical knowledge and scientific knowledge.
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, which has information relating to the medicinal aspects of Marijuana, pre-clinical and clinical trials are under way to test Marijuana and various extracts for the treatment of a number of diseases, including autoimmune diseases such as multiple sclerosis and Alzheimer’s disease; inflammation; pain; and mental disorders.
The Cannabis plant contains cannabidiol (CBD) and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Both have medicinal properties, but whereas THC has psychoactive activity that can make one feel “stoned,” CBD does not. The whole plant also contains a variety of terpenes that have medicinal properties as well.
Through traditional plant breeding and seed exchanges, growers have started producing Cannabis plants for medical use that have higher levels of CBD and lower levels of THC.
CBD is currently a Schedule 1 controlled substance, meaning that:
1. The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse
2. The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the US
3. There is a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision
CBD needs to be rescheduled, as each of these 3 points are blatantly wrong.
People should advocate for the rescheduling of Cannabis at the federal level.
Cannabis currently listed as a Schedule I, a very dangerous substance. To match its actual safety and toxicity profile, it should be at a much lower schedule. If it was moved, 3 Key things would happen:
- Physicians would be able to prescribe Cannabis. Doctors could actually help their patients to get the exact thing that they need without the sort of situation where patients are required to find their own source.
- Physicians can do actual clinical research. You can’t do an approved human study with a substance that the federal government says is highly dangerous. It is not permitted. If Cannabis is rescheduled, doctors could do actual clinical research, which has been prohibited.
- People could potentially get insurance coverage for Cannabis, which would be very important for people to be able to really benefit from it.
As it is now, 23 states have legalized Medical Marijuana. Another 11 states have pending legislation for Y 2015
Awareness is beginning to shift, and many people are now starting to recognize the medical value of Cannabis. Recently he US Surgeon General spoke in favor of Medical Marijuana.
His statement mirrors the growing sentiment in the medical and scientific communities that the health benefits of Marijuana should no longer be ignored. But there are hurdles, and many states have strict laws against its usage, even for terminal patients.
Many drugs are developed not because there is a great medical need, but because there is huge money to be made from them.
In many cases, there are holistic therapies and medicines that exist can take the place of many synthetic pharmaceuticals. Cannabis is one such therapy, and it it look at a new way of thinking about this ancient healing plant.